The 6th International Korean Literature Translation Workshop
Seoul National University, 3-7 June 2013
Seoul National University and The University of British Columbia, with support from the International Communications Foundation, is proud to host the 6th International Translation Workshop. This yearâ€™s workshop will take place on the campus of Seoul National University, and will host prominent writer Kim Aeran, as well as scholars and translators of Korean literature.
The Translation Workshop is committed to encouraging translators of Korean literature to workshop their translations in a supportive environment, placing emphasis on group dynamics and cooperation among students and mentors. The schedule includes group workshop sessions, pair work with Seoul National University students, lectures about translation theory and Korean literature, and guest appearances by a prominent Korean authors.
Accommodations and Flights
Participants will receive free accommodations for the duration of the workshop. Round-trip airfare will be reimbursed up to 900$ for participants from overseas.
The 2013 workshop theme is â€œYoung Works by Young Writersâ€, and will focus on writers born after 1980 who debuted in the new millennium. A number of texts have been preselected for the purposes of the workshop.
Email the organizer (Dr. Dafna Zur: zur.dafna AT gmail.com) no later than 15Â April 2013 with the following information:
- Your name and affiliated institution;
- The title of the piece of your choice (see list below) **Please contact Dr.Â Zur (zur.dafna AT gmail.com) if you do not have access to the work of yourÂ choice, and a scan will be emailed to you.
- A short paragraph of how translation of Korean literature fits into theÂ larger context of your academic and/or creative work.
- The deadline for the initial email with the above information is 15 AprilÂ 2013. At this time, applicants will be informed if their choice of work is already taken. The sooner applicants email their first choice, the likelier the chance they will translate what they wish;
- Once their choice is approved, applicants will be asked to submit two pages of translation for the initial screening to be submitted by 25 April 2013;
- Successful applicants will be informed no later than 30 April 2013;
- Successful applicants will be expected to submit their completed workingÂ drafts by 26 May 2013.
Suggested List of Works (updated on 10 April)
ê¹€ì• ëž€, â€œê·¸ê³³ì˜ ë°¤ ì—¬ê¸°ì— ë…¸ëž˜â€â€”taken
- ê¹€ì• ëž€, â€œë¬¼ì† ê³¨ë¦¬ì•—â€
- ê¹€ì• ëž€, â€œí•˜ë£¨ì˜ ì¶•â€
- ê¹€ì‚¬ê³¼, â€œì •ì˜¤ì˜ ì‚°ì±…â€
- ë°•ì†”ë«¼, â€œì•ˆí•´â€
- ì†ë³´ë¯¸, â€œëŒ€ê´€ëžŒì°¨â€
- ìœ¤ê³ ì€, â€œ1 ì¸ìš© ì‹íƒâ€
- ìœ¤ê³ ì€, â€œQâ€
- ì•ˆë³´ìœ¤, â€œë‹¤ë§Œ í—ˆê³µâ€
- ì•ˆë³´ìœ¤, â€œë¹„êµì ì•ˆë…•í•œ ë©ì‹ ì˜ í•˜ë£¨â€
- ì—¼ìŠ¹ìˆ™, â€œë…¸ëž˜í•˜ëŠ” ë°¤ ì•„ë¬´ë„â€
- ì—¼ìŠ¹ìˆ™, â€œëž˜ì¸ìŠ¤í‹±â€
- ì´ì˜í›ˆ, â€œëª¨ë‘ê°€ ì†Œë…€ì‹œëŒ€ë¥¼ ì¢‹ì•„í•´â€
- ì´ì˜í›ˆ, â€œì°°ë¦¬â€
- ì •ì‘ì¤€ â€œì˜ì›í•œ ì •ì˜¤â€
- ì •ì‘ì¤€ â€œìœ„ëŒ€í•œ ì‘ì‚¬ì—ê²Œâ€
- ìµœì§„ì˜, â€œìžì¹«â€
- ìµœì§„ì˜, â€œì–´ë””ì¯¤â€